This is a big problem within gyms. 90% of the time people are nice and think of others. The other 10% however…are douche bags! If you know you sweat a lot when you go running, don’t get off a treadmill without wiping it over! Funnily enough dude, I don’t want to be touching liquid that has just been expelled from your body!
It seems to be worse within the larger ‘chain’ gyms. I think it’s because within the smaller, independent gyms, everyone knows everyone, and it’s much more of a friendly atmosphere. Unfortunately however, you still find that some people are simply oblivious to the hardship they are causing. Whether it be putting away your weights after use, unloading bars or dropping weights from shoulder height! Countless amount of times I have had to unload bars for someone to use. It is massively frustrating as I’m sure that 9 times out of 10, you won’t walk up to a bar with 100’s of Kilo’s on it, so why leave it that way? These are all small things which can easily be avoided and can create a much happier environment.
We all have our gripes about ‘gym life’ but my biggest bug bear, is the guy/gal who judges others. We are all in the gym for one reason, we want to be a better version of ourselves. If you see someone who is overweight or struggling, don’t judge them! You have categoric evidence that they are trying their best to change this! Offer them help, or if you are not in the position to be doing so, then a kind word of encouragement is just as rewarding!
Sometimes we forget that we are all human. We get caught up in our own little worlds that we forget about others. Not just in the gym but in general. Please please please don’t be the judgmental type. You don’t know what others are going through so if you can help someone out, go for it! If you were having a bad day and someone did a small act to help you out, for arguments sake – holding a door open for you, that would put a smile on your face and brighten up your day! Because if we all looked out for one another a little more (even if it is just wiping over a treadmill), we would all be that much happier!